Friday, July 11, 2014

Brampton beats Brooklin 14-12 in OT, Lakers trounce Rock 13-5

Joe Resetarits had a 6-point night to help Brampton upset
Brooklin 14-12 in overtime Thursday. (Photo: Tim Prothero)
The Brampton Excelsiors pulled off the upset of the Major Series Lacrosse season, coming back to beat the first-place Brooklin Redmen 14-12 in overtime Thursday night. Brampton put together a 6-3 third period including scoring the last 4 goals of regulation time to force the extra 10-minute period. Their transition game came up big for them in the overtime as Mike Kirk and Chris Corbeil chipped in goals, in addition to Joe Resetarits' second of the game to go with 4 assists. Kevin Ross led the way with 3 goals and 4 assists for the Excelsiors, who move into a tie with Oakville for fifth place with a 3-8 record. Curtis Knight was the top gun for Brooklin with 4 goals while Shayne Jackson added 2 goals and 2 assists and rookie defender Graeme Hossack pitched in with a pair of goals.

Brooklin led 3-2 after one period and 8-5 after two, then stretched their lead to 9-5 when Steve Priolo scored an unassisted marker two minutes into the third. Brampton got a couple of goals back through Ross and Brady Heseltine 25 seconds apart. Just a few minutes later, though, Knight and Hossack connected 35 seconds apart to restore the 4-goal margin. Corbeil struck for his second of the game at 8:59. Then, starting at 14:59, Brampton got goals from Mike Burke, Mark White and Ross in less than two minutes. Neither team could score in the final three minutes, setting up the extra period.

In Peterborough, the Lakers scored early and often and Oakville was never able to get back into the game. For the Lakers, Mark Steenhuis scored 5 goals (and added 2 assists) while Tyler Carlson allowed only 5 goals by Oakville. Shawn Evans added a goal and 5 assists for the Lakers. Five different players scored for the Rock.

With the score out of hand at 11-2 for Peterborough after two periods, the third period saw plenty of rough stuff. Andrew Suitor for Peterborough and Billy Hostrawser for Oakville took roughing majors in separate incidents in the first couple of minutes. At 2:53, Shawn Evans and Mitch DeSnoo got into it and each wound up with minor penalties and 10-minute misconducts for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Then, with just under two minutes to play, Scott Evans and Hostrawser got involved in the high slot in front of the Oakville net. Hostrawser took a chop at Evans leg, for which he wound up receiving a match penalty. It looked like the two may fight, but Shawn Evans ran in from out of the play to jump on Hostrawser. The two tumbled to the turf and wrestled for a while before being separated. Shawn Evans also received a match penalty as a result of the incident.